“I write and sing songs that evoke happiness
and share truth” – Berita
A true African Jewel. Multi-award winning, gold selling, Afro Soul singer and songwriter, Berita, is proving to be one of the most important new voices of our generation in the Afro Soul genre. Known to make classic hit singles that resonates with people of all ages, at just 25, Berita has touched the hearts of many and received endorsements from the likes of Mama Africa, Yvonne Chaka Chaka; world renowned Oliver Mtukudzi; and Grammy award winning flugelhornist and composer Hugh Masekela. Berita has also added her voice and flavour to collaborations with South African house DJ icon Oskido as well as Black Motion, Lulo Café and DJ Q’ness.
Over the past 2 years, songstress BERITA has spent time creating the 14 track album, featuring songs such as Nguwe Wedwa, Surprises, Eziziweni and more Afro Soul songs.
Her self-titled album BERITA channels the different unpredictable stages of love, from intense passion, to heart break, to bouncing back and taking back control. Each song is a chapter in the life of a relationship, and unravels the emotions and experience that one goes through. Both relatable and empowering, in this album BERITA truly shows her growth and lays her heart out on every track.
“I really enjoyed working on this album,” said BERITA. “This is my third album, my self-titled and most precious album. I feel like I put in a lot of work with my producers musically and lyrically and my fans are really gonna feel and hear the growth in my music.”- BERITA
- 2017: Best Female – Eastern Cape Music Awards
- 2016: Music Artist Of The Year – Zimbabwe Achievers Awards
- 2015: Song Writer Of The Year – Wawela Music Awards
- 2015: Rising Star Of The Year – South African Afro Music Awards
- 2013: Best African Pop Album – Metro FM Music Award
NOTABLE MILESTONES / ACHIEVEMENTS / CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
- 2016: Participated in Coke Studio which resulted in the release of Vusu Yeke which she collaborated on with Yanga
- 2015: Performed in the Netherlands at an embassy event in commemoration of the birthday of late former South African President, Nelson Mandela
- 2014: Collaborated with legendary singers High Masekela and Oliver Mtukudzi on single Mwana Wa Mai
- 2014: Music Artist Of The Year nominee – Zimbabwe Achievers Awards
- 2013: Developed an inspired motivational tour for 10 High Schools in the Eastern Cape with partner brands
- 2013: Music composed by Berita was licensed in the movie Positively Beautiful which was screened in major Film Festivals around the world
- 2012: Hit single Thandolwethu shot to the top of charts on radio stations across the country and today is still one of the most local recognised love ballads in the country
- 2012: Debut album, Conquering Spirit, released at just 21 years of age went on to reach gold selling status
- 2017: Berita
- 2014: Songs of Empowerment
- 2012: Conquering Spirit
Zimbabwean born, South African based, Gugulethu Khumalo, is an award winning singer and songwriter who is popularly known by her stage name, Berita. She adopted the stage name Berita, which is her mother’s name, in honour of her mother and as well as all loving, hardworking African mothers around the continent.
Berita’s musical journey began in 2012 after leaving New Zealand, where her parents are immigrants working as dairy farmers, to come and study in South Africa. Equipped with just a guitar and her dreams, the 21 year old university student won the hearts of many South Africans with the release of her smash hit single, Thandolwethu, in a move that can now be deemed one of fate.
The Afro Soul sensation has now gone on to be a gold selling, multi-award winning singer and songwriter who maintains a positive impact in the Afro Soul genre in South Africa.
Berita has performed at festivals all around the continent and shared the stage with the likes of Salif Keita, Hugh Masekela, Angelique Kidjo, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Oliver Mtukudzi, and Kenny Latimore just to name a few.